Sometimes, you take your car to the dealership for an oil change, and you leave with barely a penny to your name. Times like those, this lentil soup comes in handy for a very inexpensive, protein rich meal option that works for lunch or dinner.
A pot of this soup costs about three dollars.
Spicy Vegan Lentil Soup with Onions (pictured above)
8 servings, 215 Calories per serving, 2.7 g Fat, 35.3 g Carbohydrate, 16 g Fiber, 13.6 g Protein
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 cloves garli
- 1 large white onion
- 3 red hot chili peppers
- 2 cups lentils
- In a stock pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté Chopped onion and habanero peppers until onion is soft (about 5 min)
- Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant (about 1 minute)
- Add 8 cups of water, spices, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. **spice measurements approximate. Adjust to taste.
- Add lentils, reduce heat and simmer 45 min or until lentils are soft.
- Serve garnished with fresh cilantro, scallions, kefir, sour cream or cheese. ** pictured with fresh cilantro, kefir and marble rye toast – not included in calorie total.