I’ve had this beautiful, gigantic head of cabbage for 2 weeks and it was time to do something with it. I looked through quite a few cabbage and apple dishes, but they all seemed to contain copious amounts of sugar, butter and breadcrumbs. I wanted to makes something lighter so I just did my own thing. I am very pleased with the result. It’s lightly sweet because of the apples, but it is mostly savory. This would make an excellent side dish on Thanksgiving.
- 1/2 large head of cabbage or 1 whole small head
- 3 gala apples
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Roughly chop cabbage
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil, add cabbage, boil 5 minutes, drain
- Cut apples into small pieces. I leave the skin on. Peel if desired.
- Toss apples and cabbage together in a large pyrex dish
- Sprinkle cumin, paprika and salt on top (maybe 1-2 tsp each)
- Drizzle coconut oil over top, stir together
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 min
- Uncover, stir, and bake another 15-20 minutes or until there are some brown bits on top
Nutritional Information per serving (8 servings)
80 calories, 12 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, 1 g protein